Weedon Bec is the name of the whole parish, within which there are two ancient settlements, Upper Weedon and Lower Weedon. In the Domesday Book there are two Manors located at Weedon. It is not certain that these represent the same settlements, however Overseers for the Upper Town and Lower Town undertook the organisation of the Open Fields until about 1625, when reorganisation into one unit seems to have taken place. Until after the Second World War the two settlements were separated by up to half a mile of open agricultural land. The part of the village lying along the main roads, A5 and A45 is known as Road Weedon and developed later. This was probably in response to traffic along the Old Stratford to Dunchurch Turnpike, created by an Act of Parliament in 1706; the first such road in Northamptonshire.
The name Weedon comes from two Anglo-Saxon words: Weoh, meaning a Shrine or Holy Place and Dun, meaning Hill. The earliest known written occurrence of the name is found in an Anglo-Saxon Charter dated 944 A.D.
The second part of the name, Bec, is the name of a village in Normandy, where there was an important Abbey. Some years after the Norman Conquest the Manor of Weedon was given to the Abbey of Bec and the Abbey became Lord of the Manor. Thus the village became known as Weedon Bec. There were a number of Abbeys and Priories in France drawing rents from English Manors. In 1414 King Henry V ordered these 'Alien Priories' to be taken over and the income transferred to the Crown. In about 1472 the Manor was granted by Henry VI to the newly formed Eton College, who remained Lords of the Manor until changes in the law relating to leasehold property in the 1920s.