The Mound Working group has been working towards a resolution to remove the contamination from the Mound.
The requirement to remove the contamination is as a result of asbestos being found within the depths of the Mound based on findings of a Soil Report. The soil report can e viewed online by clicking here: Contaminated Soil Report
The Local Authority Environmental Health Officer as a result, has notified WBPC that this matter needed to be dealt with as soon as practicably possible and the area made safe given it is public ground.
What has taken place so far:
- temporary fencing erected to keep people out of the area
- EHO in communication with Ministry of Defence
- Work group meetings to determine to how to resolve the problem
- Working to gather statements from local residents about the historical use of the Mound
- Public Meeting held 1st Sept 2015 to advise of progress and to enable Residents to ask questions - general consensus is removal to increase play space
- Regular Mound updates in village newsletter (distributed to all properties)
- Tender request in local newspaper to price both capping and full removal options
- Review of tenders and shortlisting process
- Tenders meetings with shortlisted contractors